Sunday, March 7, 2010

Butternut Squash Stir-Fry

I have promised many people that I'd post this recipe, so here goes... for all those waiting for scrumptious yumminess!

Butternut Squash Stir-Fry (from 1000 Classic Recipes from Around the World)
Serves 4 (I double the recipe for big groups and/or leftovers)

Ingredients
2 lbs 4oz butternut squash peeled (this is about one average-sized butternut squash)
3 Tbsp peanut oil (I substituted coconut oil to be compliant with the Maker's Diet)
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp coriander seeds (I used ground coriander)
1 tsp cumin seeds (again, I used ground)
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
2/3 c. coconut milk
1/2 c. water
1/3 c. salted cashews (can't have cashews til Phase 3 of the Maker's Diet, so I used pecans instead, which was very nice... and since they're raw, I added a dash of salt to the recipe)

To Garnish
freshly grated lime rind
fresh cilantro
lime wedges

1. Using a sharp knife, cut the butternut squash into small, bite-sized cubes.
2. Heat the peanut oil (coconut oil) in a large preheated wok (I used my electric frying pan, because I doubled the recipe and needed the space... plus I think I sold my wok at a yard sale).
3. Add the butternut squash, onion, and garlic to the wok and stir-fry for 5 minutes.
4. Stir in the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, and fresh cilantro and stir-fry for one minute.
5. Add the coconut milk and water to the wok and bring to a boil. Cover the wok and leave to simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the squash is tender.
6. Add the cashews and stir to combine (I actually left the nuts out and had people sprinkle some on top of their individual portions).
7. Transfer to a warm serving dish and garnish with freshly grated lime rind (I didn't use lime rind), fresh cilantro and lime wedges. Serve hot.

*I actually like this with more of a lime-y taste, so I added in about 1-2 Tbsp of lime juice about half-way through step 5. That's for a double recipe...

**The cook book says you can use sweet potatoes instead, if butternut squash is unavailable or not in season.

***Two weeks ago when I made this, I let it simmer on the longer side, plus I then had to reheat it on top of the stove for my dinner guests, and it got a bit mushy... so I'd recommend going on the shorter end of cooking time if you plan to reheat it. Tonight's version seemed just right in terms of tenderness, firmness... and consistency overall.

Yummy, yummy, yummy.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails