Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I heart my boss... and my job

So, the video below is a year and a half old, but I just saw it again yesterday, while I was at the groundbreaking ceremony for our new facility at 333 North Arch St., slated to open in July. This expansion is more than exciting. It's phenomenal! We'll be adding 24 exam rooms to our current 18... and more than doubling our patient visits per year. The expansion will mean new job responsibilities for me, as I'll be taking on more of a leadership role. I'm looking forward to the new phase of my professional career, but also know that it's easy to become overwhelmed by the need that faces us at SouthEast each and every day.

Lots of days at the health center are emotionally draining and tiring. My patients not only have complicated health problems, but their social, mental, economic, relational and emotional problems are incredibly overwhelming. Tuesdays are the worst. They always seems to be the longest days with the craziest things happening. I always walk away from the clinic amazed at how my patients survive in the worlds they live in AND how blessed I am to have a stable, wholesome home to live in with a wonderful, faithful and loving husband, a healthy son and family and friends that surround us, support us and care for us.

I know God has me in Lancaster for a reason, and I feel that I'm answering His call by going to work everyday at SouthEast. Sometimes the things I see and experience are awful, downright painful. And sometimes work is just plain hard. I always thought that I would go to medical school, finish residency, pay off my loans, and leave the country to work full time in missions. I've come to realize that, for now, I'm in the heart of my mission, and there's nowhere else I'd rather be. I don't know if the calling will be the same in 5 or 10 years from now. But for NOW, it is what it is. And that feels good; I'm at peace.

I'm honored to work with AMAZING people. They're giving, selfless, caring and serving individuals. And they're humble. They're great partners and they go the extra mile. My job (and my life) wouldn't be the same without them. When I'm overwhelmed with the messed up systems at the clinic, inefficiencies that occasionally occur, paperwork that never ends, and the sadness of my patients' lives, it's my partners - my dear friends - who are encouraging and keep me going. We're in the trenches together. I have an awesome boss, too, whom I heart in a big, big, big way. I know we all heart him. He's one of the main reasons I landed at SouthEast in the first place. I'm pretty darn sure I don't know anyone in my professional circles as dedicated, optimistic, brilliant, kind, patient, humble, energetic (and so much more) as this guy. He rocks. This United Way video from last year features him...and some of our nursing staff and our patients. Check out the video. It will make you smile and warm your heart.

1 comment:

Tim Johnsen Martin said...

I agree that Bill is amazing. Doing a job that you believe in is great...doing it with great partners is phenomenal!

Related Posts with Thumbnails