Wednesday, December 23, 2009

What’s for dinner?!

As I mentioned before, Sebastian seems to be enjoying the world of solid foods…for the most part.  All of a sudden he’s started screaming while we’re trying to feed him over the past two days or so, and we haven’t quite figured out why.  He continues to eat what we give him, and wants more and more and more, but he screams when the spoon isn’t in his mouth.  It’s almost like we can’t get the food in there fast enough!  Hopefully this is just a phase… I’m thankful for his good eating habits, because I was just speaking with two other doctor mom friends who have babies about a month and two months older than Seb, and their babies barely eat anything outside of la leche… and even that is a challenge for them at times.  So, thanks little man, for being adventurous and compliant with the new culinary experiences.

I guess I’m not surprised that transitioning to solids would be a bitter sweet experience for me.  I guess some moms are probably dying for this to happen sooner, and others, like me, wouldn’t mind if it didn’t happen so quickly.  Don’t get me wrong – I’m glad that Sebastian likes solids and that he’s doing so well.  It’s so much fun to watch him eat and taste new things.  But, at the same time, it’s a total realization that he’s growing up and is not 100% dependent on me as his source of nutrition.  I love nursing, and I love that I’ve been able to provide for him in this way…

In an effort to make sure he gets just good stuff in his little body, I decided to make all of his baby food for now.  And I love it.  I feel good about it.  I know exactly what he’s eating.  And Sebastian loves it.   It’s a win-win situation.

Here’s a little bit of my baby-making food journey…  I was given baby food freezer containers as a shower gift from my S-I-L, and then I got some more from my cousin.  Hooray!  They are great.  And it makes producing large batches of good food a cinch. 

First, I choose the food product – right now Seb is eating peas, sweet potatoes, butternut squash and acorn squash.  I made a huge batch of carrots, too, but we haven’t introduced those yet. 

IMG_4263 IMG_4258

Then I steam the veggies.  For the butternut squash, I peeled it, cut it up in chunks and steamed it.  And for the acorn squash, I cut it in half and baked it in the oven. 

IMG_4262

After they’re soft and near mushy, I transfer the vegetables to the food processor (NOTE: best Christmas gift EVER given to me by Timmy).  Add some of the water from the steaming process, puree away…

IMG_4257

keep adding water as needed til you get the perfect consistency….IMG_4269

And voila!  Yummy baby food ready for the freezer trays!

IMG_4260 IMG_4261  

Freeze for 8-10 hours, pop ‘em out, and bag them.  Then, when Sebastian is ready to eat, or when we’re packing his lunch bag, we just grab the cubes and go.  So easy, so yummy, and so wonderful!

Oh, the joys of cooking!  Especially cooking for my little munchkin.  Love, love, love it!

I’d really like to be able to make his grains as well (he’s eating rice cereal and just got his first couple of tastes of oatmeal this week), but so far I haven’t ventured into that realm.  I’d love to have a mill or grain grinder… so we’ll just have to see if that shows up under the tree.  If not, no worries.  My birthday is just around the corner.  :)  And for now, Sebastian is quite content eating his Earth’s Best grains. 

Happy baby = happy mommy = happy daddy = happy family!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails