Friday, November 13, 2009

Baking for Jesus

I had to chuckle at myself a little bit, because as I was making these scrumptious scones below, I told Sebastian that we were baking for Jesus... which in reality, we were.  He was helping out, playing in his bouncer, and giggling at his silly mama, when I did the zester dance (a little jig while using my zester to gather rind from clementines). 
Anyways, the reason we were baking for Jesus is because these yummies will be for sale at an indoor missions yard sale tomorrow... to support Ralph & Deb Muenstermann - this is the couple whose MST (Missionary Support Team) we serve on - and they are preparing to leave in January for Youth With A Mission's Discipleship Training School in Kona, Hawaii, followed by ministry in Germany. 
So, take a peak, and try the recipe yourself, cuz they are delicious!  And, if you're in town, get on over to ACTS Covenant Fellowship tomorrow morning to buy yourself some.  I'm sure they'll go fast!  He he!


Here's the recipe, in case you're tempted! 
From Cookies, Irresistable Biscuits, Brownies and Bars by Hilaire Walden

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
1/3 c sugar
pinch of salt
5 Tbsp butter, chopped
grated rind of 1 large orange (I used 3 clementines, cuz I didn't have an orange)
1/3 c raisins (I used craisins, cuz I thought it just sounded better...and I'm pretty sure it is)
1/2 c buttermilk
milk for glazing


1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Grease and flour a large baking sheet.
2. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Add the butter and rub in until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Add the orange rind (or other citrus) and raisins (or craisins). Gradually stir in the buttermilk to form a soft dough.
4. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to about 3/4 inch thick. Stamp out circles with a floured cookie cutter.
5. Place on the prepared baking sheet and brush the tops with milk.  Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden. Serve hot or warm, with butter or whipped cream, and jam.  (I ate mine all by itself and it was scrumptious!)


Cook's tip: For light, delicate scones, handle the dough as little as possible. My friend, Peter, came by in the middle of the process and confirmed this tip.  He said he made scones last week, and the butter should be cold.  He said, "there's something to that!" when I told him the tip said to handle as little as possible. 

YUMMY!

Here are the details of the indoor yard sale, if you feel compelled!

Missions Indoor Yard Sale and Pancake Breakfast

ACTS Covenant Fellowship in the fellowship hall
Saturday, November 14, 8 am- 12 noon.
Ralph and Deb are having a moving sale and have invited friends to also sell their things with all proceeds going to missions. Come join us for shopping or for a pancake breakfast (8:00-10:30 AM). Some items available include: toys, baby gear and clothing, plants, kitchen and decorative household items, some furniture, men and women clothing, unique handcrafted jewelry, and baked goods. If questions, call 717-664-4036.
Directions from Lancaster City: 1927 Wheatland Ave. (take Columbia Ave, turn right on Eisenhower Blvd. at DQ, go 3 blocks).

1 comment:

Nate and Jenny Hoover said...

Mmmmm... I'm going to make these or my coworkers GPS team meeting tomorrow night! I think I'll add white chocolate drizzle to the top, too, or put chunks in them. How many did one batch make?
And! SUPER CUTE PICS of your vacation. Seb is a seriously adorable little man. Can you believe how big he is????

Related Posts with Thumbnails