Saturday, October 10, 2009

Zucchini Brownies

After a long day of working outside painting and putting up the downspouts, I thought Tim & Angel (our nephew) would enjoy a special treat. OK, to be honest, I was craving something sweet, but knew that ice cream was off limits, because I'm only on day 2 of the dairy-free diet (which, by the way, has resulted in very little improvement so far). Either way, it doesn't seem like the guys complained about the scrumptious zucchini brownies. The smell of chocolate pervades the walls of our house right now. So, so yummy! Look at those beautiful morsels!
The guys got their dessert Ala mode while I ate my brownies naked. Still delicious, no matter how you look at it! They were just the right amount of sweetness, super moist and oh - so - good!

If you're tempted, I got the recipe from Simply in Season - this is a fantastic cookbook that encourages local and seasonal cooking.

Here's the recipe:
1 c. flour (I used soft wheat)
3/4 c. whole wheat flour (I used spelt)
1/3 c. baking cocoa
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
Combine in large bowl.

2-3 c. zucchini shredded (I used some I had frozen from our CSA from this summer)
Stir in.

1 egg
3/4 c. sugar (I cut this back to about 1/2 c.)
3/4 c. brown sugar (again, I cut it back to about 1/2 c.)
1/2 c. plain yogurt (I used my own home-made yogurt)
1/2 c. oil
1 tsp. vanilla
Combine in separate bowl and beat with fork. Stir into zucchini mixture. Spread evenly into greased 9x13 pan.

1/2-1 c. semisweet or mint chocolate chips (I'm sure dark chocolate chips would be fabulous, too, but I didn't have any on hand)
1/2 c nuts chopped optional (I used walnuts)
Sprinkle on top of batter. Bake in preheated oven at 350F until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes.

ENJOY!!!

1 comment:

Tim Johnsen Martin said...

it was tasty! Thanks honey.

also, i notice that Sebastian looks so cute on pictures with his mouth hanging open that I might try that for our next pic :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails