Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Burned

My skin, that is... right in the middle of my abdomen, just to the right of my belly button. Silly me.... a patient told me she had a "wart" that she wanted me to burn, so before I examined her, I went to get the TCA (trichloroacetic acid). Seems like someone prior to me must have had a little spill or leak, or didn't put the cap on tightly, because when I pulled the plastic box down from the shelf that houses the TCA, liquid splashed onto my new (only have worn it twice) blouse... and subsequently thru the blouse and onto my skin. I flushed my belly with water and went about my day sulking a little bit because of the new shirt likely being ruined - I anticipate a big hole in it as the TCA eats it away when I wash it. But when I got home and put my PJs on, I found that what had been just a little red before is now a lot red and about 2 inches by 2 inches, in the shape of a heart of sorts. How ironic. A burn, on my belly, in the shape of a heart. And you know what the real kicker of it is? I didn't even burn a wart today. Sigh... The joys -and hazards- of doctoring.
Interestingly, when you google TCA burn, you get all sorts of information on chemical peels using TCA for cosmetic purposes. So maybe the TCA will wipe away a few unwanted blemishes left over from a pregnant belly after all. I'll keep you posted. It's a good experiment, since it only fell on one side. It seems almost a little too high up on the belly to make a really good experiment, though.
You'll also find a video of a cheerleading championship dance... I'm not sure I can come up with any explanation for how that fits with "TCA Burn" though. I guess I'm just missing something. Huh.

1 comment:

Rita and John said...

Oh, no! I'm glad it wasn't worse. I never think of the hazards you could encounter during your work day.

Related Posts with Thumbnails